If you’re a senior citizen or someone who’s making decisions on behalf of a senior, it’s important that you work with an attorney who focuses on Elder Law to navigate the unique legal needs of your “golden years”. Our aging population faces complex legal concerns that can affect your loved ones and possibly have unintended legal consequences.
Elder Law encompasses many different fields of law. It was created to assist you or your loved ones reaching life’s later years in the following ways:
- Preservation/transfer of assets seeking to avoid spousal impoverishment when a spouse enters a nursing home.
- Medicaid Pre-Planning and Medicaid Crisis Planning.
- Veterans Benefits – Aid and Attendance.
- Conservatorships and guardianships.
- Long-term care placements in nursing home and life care communities.
- Nursing home issues; and elder law abuse and fraud.
A number of challenges can arise for both the elderly person and those who support their well-being. As you age and your care needs shift, the preparation of elder care planning can be overwhelming. But the earlier you start planning, the more options that will be available for your future care needs. Ignoring or procrastinating on the realities of aging almost always results in difficult outcomes for you and your loved ones, and often eliminates your ability to make your own health care choices in advance.